This is my attempt to maintain an online résumé of some form. I guess as it is online, I shouldn't be bothered restrict my self to a single printed paged. If you are after a more conventional format, see pdf, odt, or docx. The trick will be to arrange for the other formats to be generated automatically in a post-update git hook. I guess pandoc is my friend here as he can convert from markdown. Ikiwiki, the wiki compiler I am using for this site requires (mostly) markdown. I'm used to org or LaTeX. Recruiters and hiring managers generally expect a tailored resume, anyway. Let's see how far this goes. I also have a LinkedIn Profile.
Only those who attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.
I am a professional UNIX and GNU/Linux engineer with a software development background (and generally a nerd). I particularly enjoy working in the space between silos of System Engineering and Software Development, which may be called DevOps. I particularly like to automate things that can't be automated, other than résumé generation ;).
Current proficiencies include scripting languages such as SHELL, Bash, KSH, PERL, Python. I am also proficient in C and some experience with Lisp, emacs-lisp, Scheme (guile), and Clojure. I also use tools such as GNU autotools, git, make daily.
I've been working in IT for quite a while and have experience in many industries including Retail, Telecommunications, Manufacturing, and Insurance.
Lowes Companies, Mooresville, NC (February 28, 2011 - Present)
- Infrastructure Engineer (April 1, 2014 - Present)
- Unix Engineer (February 28, 2011 - April 1, 2014)
Engineer solutions to automate and support retail operations throughout international retail chain of over 1700 stores. Primary server platform is IBM AIX (over 3500 Power7 blades).
- Technical project lead for evaluating and recommending migration path from AIX to GNU/Linux.
- Developed automated method of creating installp / LPP and RPM packages, which improved internal release processes. Utilized GNU autotools and git. Currently migrating infrastructure code so same OS upgrade/patch process can be utilized to distribute infrastructure code updates.
- Lead project deploying a CFEngine solution aimed at automating administration tasks and reducing incident counts. This project is currently being expanded to control drift and ensure PCI compliance.
- Automated process used to flash firmware/microcode on a Blade Center Chassis and Power 7 blades.
- Successfully used process to remotely update firmware of 9 components in each of 1700 geographically dispersed stores.
- Developed PAM module to perform password synchronization and validation.
- Automated process to upgrade 3700 distributed AIX systems to AIX 5.3
TL12 utilizing mksysb images and alt_disk_install.
- Trivial modifications allowed reuse to migrate chain to AIX 184.108.40.206
- Minor modifications allowed reuse again to migrate chain to AIX 220.127.116.11 utilizing a packaged based approach. This will grow into automated processes to keep systems updated with security patches from IBM.
Computer Sciences Corporation, Blythewood, SC (June 1, 2009 - February 18, 2011)
- Unix System Engineer (June 1, 2009 - February 18, 2011)
Member of international team of engineers responsible for servers hundred midrange Sun Solaris server (Solaris 9, 10, zones)
- Performed Solaris install -- Physical servers and Zones
- Participated in successful disaster recovery test at remote site
- Configured file systems on Hitachi SANS -- Veritas, UFS, and ZFS
- Configured multiphathing utiliting Vertias DMP and Hitache Dynaminc Link Manager
- Assisited backup term with NetBackup installations and trouble shooting
Self Employed IT Consultant, Bishopville, SC (June 1, 2005 - June 1, 2009)
- Consultant (June 1, 2005 - June 1, 2009)
Provide IT advice and support for UNIX and GNU/Linux (Debian, Redhat) systems to various clients
- Provied Debian GNU/Linux technical support, remote administration, server configuration and advice to Information Research LLC, Palo Alto, CA
- Implemented VPN between company locations for Barnes Enterprises, Florence, SC
- Implemented automated installation an management procedures for Microsoft Windows XP for Barnes Enterprises, Florence, SC
Horry Telephone Cooperative, Conway, SC (July 1, 1999 - June 1, 2005)
- Network / Systems Administrator (January 1, 2001 - June 1, 2005)
- Senior Programmer / Analyst (July 1, 1999 - July 1, 1999)
Lead Administrator for over 40 Unix servers (Solaris(25+), Tru64(9), HP/UX(3), GNU/Linux(2))
- Automated server install and patch process utilizing custom shell scripts, Cfengine, puppet, JumpStart, and InstantIgnition
- Implemented server monitoring solution utilizing Nagios
- Architected and implemented Unix server backup solution utilizing Legato
- Deployed Tru64, Solaris, OpenVMS and Windows NT Server to Compaq HSG80 SAN
- Developed interface between HTC Sybase customer order system and BellSouth's provisioning system utilizing C
- Architected and implemented email system for ISP, utilizing Exim, ClamAV, Courier-imap/pop3, MySQL, SpamAssassin and others
Wellman Incorporated, Johnsonville, SC (August 1, 1994 - July 1, 1999)
- Senior Programmer / Analyst (August 1, 1994 - July 1, 1999)
Software developer and system administrator for HP/UX systems supporting manufacturing operations
- Migrated plant floor manufacturing system from legacy RET equipment to client/server architecture utilizing Informix and HP/UX
- Designed and coded application to graphically display process data in real time on X servers
- Implemented bar code system for inventory control
- HP/UX system administrator